Monday, November 7, 2011

Pumpkin Joes

I love all the flavors of fall.  I pulled this recipe off Taste of Home back when we lived in Monterey, but because of a combination of I was afraid it would be a little to odd and I would forget about it during autumn, I hadn't made it until yesterday.

The original recipe is called Pumpkin Burgers, but it nothing like a burger and pretty much a very tasty Sloppy Joe.


Ingredients
1-1/2 pounds ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 to 8 hamburger buns, split
Directions


In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the chili sauce, soup, pumpkin, salt, pumpkin pie spice and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until thickened. Serve on buns. Yield: 6-8 servings.


I made the recipe on Sunday.  When I woke up I realized I had forgotten to buy some more tomato soup.  There has to be a substitution for this I thought.  Sure enough I found a condensed soup substitute here.  One problem, I didn't have any tomato sauce either...but I did have tomato paste!  For sure there has to be a substitution for sauce using paste, right.  You betcha, it is just ratio thing, tomato sauce substitute found here.

After church I set the Pizza Guy to making tomato paste into tomato sauce.  Then taking that and making condensed tomato soup.  While he did that I started the Pumpkin Joe recipe.

Everyone in our house approved of them.  The only change I would make is I would add more pumpkin next time, maybe 1 cup or even some diced cooked pumpkin.  I loved the pumpkin flavor and how much tomato and pumpkin are in it.  It is still vegetables, even if pureed!

These are good, Mommy!

Oh, so, yummy!

Ya, Mom, I think they are yummy.
Can I please eat the rest of chips now?
-Sure, Vampire Girl.

Oh, I need a big bite!

A really BIG one!

I'm trying to smile to show I like them,  Mom,
but my mouth is full!

1 comment:

Cheri said...

I miss those cute little girls!!!!

Mission Organize Apartment