Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Picnic

Last night for Family Home Evening we went to a park for a picnic and then went kite flying. Helen has been dying to fly her kite and we couldn't get enough wind a the park near our house so we headed to the beach.

The park we went to near the beach has become our favorite park for family outings as of last night. It is perfect in every way, but one - there is hardly any parking. So after driving around for awhile trying to find a parking spot, and even going down a one way street the wrong way, we were able to unload the kids and the picnic basket and go eat dinner. The girls had hardly any interest in dinner because the jungle gym was way more inviting.

That is Helen on the slide.

Dinner was delicious.  Jake said he was full, but wanted to keep eating because everything tasted so good. The man playing basketball near us commented to us how fun that was that we were picnic-ing.  Another man walking his dog told us he liked what we doing (having a picnic) and said something like "I didn't know people still did that").  I whispered to Jake "Do Californians not picnic? I thought that's what you did when you had year-round good weather."
The menu

Jake enjoying dinner

Norah eating in between playing

We had such a wonderful time. I got a little chilly near the end and wished I had brought my sweatshirt.  Helen reminded me that it doesn't get cold in California. Something tells me she has been listening to me. The poor girl has been wearing a robe or jacket almost all the time. I have to remind her she doesn't need to wear a jacket to the store - it's not cold outside.

A hibiscus flower on our walk to the beach

We packed up the picnic basket and left it in the car and walked a block to the beach to fly the kite.  It was gorgeous. The girls had fun flying the kite. Norah takes her kite flying serious. She was also sad that we weren't getting in the water.  Helen loved flying the kite was just happy to be at the beach with the sand in her toes.

Arriving at the beach

Getting ready to let it go

Running after daddy

Norah flying the kite by herself

It help when the girls finally realized to run away from the kite to keep it up.

I took a turn before we called it a night.
I'm already planning the menu and activity for our next picnic.

3 comments:

Bethany Hopkins said...

So much fun!! I can't believe that Californians have lost the art of a picnic. Your cute family will have to start a "new" thing and make it a trend. :) Everyone will be picnic-ing soon because they saw you picnic-ing.

Cheri said...

Looks like a great family time! When I come I want to have a fire on the beach, K? I love you!

Amanda J said...

That looks like so much fun! I can't believe how many people were surprised that you were having a picnic. I thought it was a normal thing to do?

Mission Organize Apartment