Friday, April 8, 2011

Project Simplify - The Beginning

I know I have hinted at de-cluttering and simplifying my home. But I haven't shared exactly what I am doing or my results on here as of yet. Maybe it is because I am staying busy with my focus area or project.  Since I am on week 14 I really should catch up start blogging about it.

I started this the 2nd or 3rd week of January after I read this blog post from Laura over at I'm an Organizing Junkie. I have also been following gaining inspiration from Tsh at Simple Mom and her Project Simplify. Both have been extremely helpful in keeping me focused. I took the template that Laura made and redid it to match my likings. It is simply 52 lines associated with the weeks of the year. I filled in each week with an area that needed to be organized or a project. The projects are included because they are things I want to accomplish, and often the projects are cluttering space with their supplies and such. I printed it off the list and hung it on our white board. I look at it every day. That way I know where my focus is for the week. When I have a few minutes (rarely with my girls) I know where to focus my energy. I don't get that not-knowing-where-to-start or don't become over-whelmed (okay maybe I did get a itsy-bitsy over-whelmed, partly due to being sick, during weeks 6-12, more on that later).

It seems too simple, really. But it has been the hugest help for me. I have noticed a change in how I approach other tasks in life too. I am being more assertive in getting things done and putting things away where they go in the first place. One huge stumbling block in the organization process for me was organizing the old while keeping up with the new (for example, mail).

So without further avail here are the first few weeks:

Week 1: Didn't know about the project at this time, but I was getting us back onto schedule (eating, chores, sleep) post holiday season. In a way that is a good start.

Week 2: Clean out the girls' toys. I actually did this before I read the blog post, but I added it on because I did do it and it a good reminder when I did it.

Week 3: Finish table. I had been refinishing a table for a long time and finally finished it this particular week. I'll be post more pictures on it soon.

Week 4: Put away Christmas. It was all taken down already, but the boxes and such were just hanging out on Jake's table. So this week's goal was to get everything to the storage unit. May not seems like a big project, but I drive a small sedan with two car seats  and kids in tow in the back. Our trunk is smaller than most storage boxes. All that leaves a small floor space under my youngest's feet and the passenger side of the car. I think we made it in 2 or 3 loads. I really don't have that much Christmas stuff...just a really small car.

Week 5: Clean out dresser & repair quilt. I cleaned out my dresser and got rid of nearly a drawer of clothes.  I also finished repairing a large denim quilt that had been sitting in our hall for ages just waiting. We also took it to the laundry mat to get it cleaned and dried. That in itself is a time consuming task. My kids love it though because I don't care if they run around and I always take a few extra quarters to get a vending machine treat.
--
I'll cover the next weeks in the next post because they all go together, plus this is getting way too long. Sorry there are no pictures for the first 5 weeks; I didn't really think about it. Week 5 was also when we started to get sick at our house, so things slowed down, but we have since regained speed and are full steam ahead.

Happy Organizing, Everyone!

2 comments:

Stacia Cummings said...

I'm glad I found your new blog. You are inspiring me to get it together.

sommer1994.blogspot.com said...

wow...that sounds like what I need. Thanks for the info and ideas! hope to see you next weekend!
Katie

Mission Organize Apartment