Sunday, October 10, 2010

African Beef Curry

Awhile back we made this curry dish and loved it. I'll definitely make this one again on a night we want curry. It is different and I wasn't too sure about all the different toppings, but being who I am, I wanted to try it. Jake & Helen enjoyed it too (for her the highlight was mainly putting toppings on).  You'll have to forgive me.  The day we had this is when I first got a new lens for our camera.  I took some cool shots of the toppings, but never got a picture of the finished dish with the rice and toppings all together.

1 pound lean beef stew meat, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 small onion, chopped
1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
1 small sweet green pepper, chopped
1 to 2 Tablespoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Hot cooked rice

In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer fro 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
Serve with rice. Garnish with toppings listed below, all of which are optional according to your likes. We like everything. Yield 4 servings.

Toppings:

  • Raisins
  • Salted peanuts, chopped
  • Coconut
  • Cucumbers, chopped
  • Banana, sliced
  • Onion, diced
  • Pineapple Tidbits
  • Mandarin Oranges
  • Red & Green Sweet Peppers, chopped & mixed
  • Tomato, diced


I got this recipe from Taste of Home Feb & March 2008; it was contributed by Heather E.

No comments:

Mission Organize Apartment