Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Celebrating Moms

I know this is two days late.  Every time I went to work on posting this on Sunday, I ended up working on getting pictures for this post and not actually writing it.  Then Monday was busy getting Jake off on his new adventure.  So pardon my tardiness...

There are a few women in my life that are deserving of acknowledgement of the great women they are.





My mom is wonderful in so many ways. She is an excellent nurse, an outstanding student (she cares and does more in the winding up of her degree than I ever did), and most of all a wonderful mother and loving "Grandma Nani".  Her trials in life have been way more than what I have yet faced (knock on wood - I don't want anymore right now).  Sometimes I wonder how she did it all while raising a family.  I love her so much and am grateful that she is always there for me.  When I say always I mean it.  I call her all the time, especially if I am about to bake bread, cook a roast, sew, or find something online (somehow I never seem to remember the answers to questions I know I have asked before & she is the queen of online shopping).  I also call her just to talk.  Since the last part of high school she has been one of my best friends and I am ever grateful for her.
Jake's mom has been so accepting of me.  I am grateful that she lets me and my girls come crash at her house when we need company, a change of pace, or Jake is working on his helicopter over at his parents' barn.  Jake's mom works hard, not to just work, but to add to and enrich the world around her.  She is a loving "Nana" to our daughters.  I am glad we have had time to develop our friendship and grateful for her contributions to our family.





I am also grateful for Jake's and my grandmothers.  They have been influential in our lives and we love them.  Here's to you Grandma Benson, Grandma Harman, Grandma Moore, & Grandma Marble ( I don't have a digital picture of the last two ladies who have passed on and my scanner is broken.  But they are not forgotten.)
This year I decided to enjoy Mother's Day from a different viewpoint.  Rather than use it as a day of relief from my motherhood duties or a day to feel guilty that I could be a better mother, I consciously made an effort to celebrate that I can be a mother.  I celebrated that I can cook for my children & husband & whomever walks through our doors.  I celebrated that I do have patience most of the time with my girls.  I celebrated that I can play with my kids and watch them wonder about the world around them.  I celebrated that it is the hardest job in the world, that it never goes away or ends, and that I grow from the difficulties that come with it.  I celebrated that I work hard to be a mom and that I have that blessing, not all women get to experience what I have.  I also used the used the day to make commitments to do even better and renew motherly goals for the next year.  I share this simply because celebrating what I have was refreshing and soul invigorating.  A year ago I read I Am A Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson, an awesome book about enjoying be a mother and even the day-to-day trials and monotony.  I think that may have been what started my desire to celebrate motherhood on Mother's Day.

And here is why I do everything I do, and why I want to strive to do more.  I love you Sugar & Peaches!

4 comments:

Katy said...

Happy Mothers Day Aimee! You are such a good mother! You are always creative and doing something fun! I miss you tons! Your girls are beautiful and are getting so big!I like your attitude on Mother's Day too, thats a great way to think about it!

Amanda J said...

I love the picture of you and your girls!! I hope you had a great Mother's Day!

Bridgette said...

Happy Mother's Day! What a great idea. I wish I had done a post like this for my mom etc.

Amber said...

You are such a good mommy! I am always so impressed with your creative projects and amazing food. Way to go!

Mission Organize Apartment