Friday, January 15, 2010

Gak!

We've made gak for playtime.  Gak is fun.  I join in when we get to play with gak.

I was introduced to gak by my science teacher in junior high.  Cornstarch in water can't decide whether it is a liquid or solid.  You can pick up balls of it, but it immediately melts through your fingers.  In junior high our teacher let us shatter it with a hammer then watch it melt.  I don't let Helen use hammers, but she does get out play spoons and spatulas.

To make gak, mix some cornstarch with a small amount of water.  It is about 1/2 cup cornstarch to 1/4 cup water.  I think.  I never measure.  I know I have the right consistency when it feels like I am stirring a solid, but looks like I am stirring a liquid.  Then add some food coloring.

I though gak would be shelf stable in an air-tight container.  I was wrong - it is a science class petri dish.  Just throw it away when you're done.



1/23/10 Update - Here are some more photos of another time we played with gak.


No comments:

Mission Organize Apartment