Sunday, November 16, 2008

Not Timeless

This post is going to date me. I'm 29. That is young, But last night made me feel very old. But I did gain a realization that I have changed in the last 17 years. Thankfully. I'd hate to still be a young girl in Jr. High. Growing up was my kinda thing.

Last night was loud. Very loud. There were tears - but they were caused by the fog machines and the smoke from the fireworks, not from the swooning excitement of seeing men on stage. Yes, it was 17 years ago when boys were first starting to be important to me, and I was at that age where I'd flip through Teen and cut out all the pictures of my heartthrobs to hang in my locker. NOTE: one of them was of Kevin Costner dressed as Robin Hood Prince of Thieves which had just come out.

I never took the chance to see any heartthrob in person. But 17 years later, my best friend from high school and I decided to relive 7th and 8th grade. Why? you may ask. Don't ask me - I have yet to figure that out myself. But it was fun. And I had a great time having a girls' night out.

Besides catching up with Bethany, the funnest part was watching the crowd. Who knew there were so many followers aging 50 to about 12? There were two kids about age 2 there too. Why? I have yet to figure that out as well. Reading the screen of text messages people sent in before it started was also quite amusing. I felt like I was one of few not still in love with them.

There act wasn't timeless. It is not the style of music I grew into as I grew up in the last 17 years. But they were "all that" when I was young and a small part of my age when crushes and puppy love were being defined to me. They were the first of the boy bands of my generation and so it is said, they were key in defining boy bands. So I relived a little history last night - but that was all it was was history.

I won't be my last concert as I have to have something a little better to tell my kids "The last big arena concert I saw was___", but it will be my first and last concert with them as the stars. For now, and as far into the future as I can see, my grown-up tastes of Leo Kottke, and my love for the real oldies are what I enjoy hearing and of course attending this or this live would be entertaining. No screaming audience, no loss of hearing, no fog and smoke to irritate my eyes. Just simple listening pleasure.


I don't know why I still have a cassette tape
- I haven't had a cassette player in years.

And to Jordan, Jonathon, Danny, Joey, and Donny...you may have once been my heartthrobs and I had a NKOTB beach towel once, but, sorry, you are not even in my thoughts any more. I now have Jake and his pink towel, and that is all I want.

I love you, Jake! You are my heartthrob!

2 comments:

suni said...

love this aimee! glad you had a good time and are now able to put it all behind. :)

Robin said...

This is so cute!

Mission Organize Apartment