Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Today I had a very simple but great experience. As Helen and I were leaving the apartment to run errands I could hear a siren approaching. Knowing Helen would be intrigued, I stopped at the top of our stairs so she could watch the lights and such. From around the corner came a police officer on motorcycle with all his lights and sirens going. He was obviously on his way to an emergency. As Helen was absorbing all of this, the police officer turned and waved to her. I was floored by his gesture. He obviously had other things to think about and he was obviously busy. But he cared enough to notice this little girl watching him intently. He didn't slow down, didn't stop the job he was doing, nor make a big deal, but he recognized us. It was a huge deal for me. We need more people in the world like this. Maybe I need to be one of those people more often. I think about how many times I am rushing around for what I think is an emergency or dire need, but really none of it matters if I don't recognize and appreciate the people around me. I appreciate this officer, whoever he may be. I appreciate him taking the time to wave at Helen and the simple principle he reminded me of today. I have had a great lesson in what should be held as important.
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Here are the good things that have happened in my life this past week:
- After much thinking, I came up with a theme for Brady's birthday cake.
- An absolutely wonderful web cam visit with Jake. It made me fall in love all over again. Ah, I am enamored of him.
- I finished a book series. Yes, there were tears throughout.
- Helen is slowly sleeping in her bed better. As long as we are progressing, I am jiggy.
- I did not go blind when chlorine was splashed in my eye.
- A delightful visit with Jake's Papa and his wife Carole.
- I found some great clothes for Helen and bought Jake some of his favorite t-shirts.
- My little sugar is becoming cuter each day, and loves to copy her mama. Really have to watch what I am doing now.
- I found the movie "A Series of Unfortunate Events" for $5.
- My house is clean and laundry is caught up for Sunday.