Sunday, June 22, 2008

Calling All Experienced Mothers - or anyone with suggestions

So last week we thought Helen had the flu. Oddly though she was fine all day and only threw-up just as we were getting her in bed. Then I didn't feel good and didn't want to put up with throw-up too so I let her sleep in my bed a couple of nights. We attempted to get back on schedule and routine tonight. And she threw-up again tonight. I was trying to get her to go to bed on her own like we had been doing a few weeks ago, and as soon as I left the room her cry became very strange and sure enough I went in and she was gargling on throw-up. I really don't think she is sick - I think it is anxiety. I really would like to avoid cleaning up throw-up every night. Any suggestions on how to relieve her anxiety about sleeping in her own room and get her back on the schedule we were once on?

3 comments:

Cara said...

My daughter had the same thing, where she'd just throw up at night. My doctor said she may have caught a stomach flu bug that caused a little gastroparesis. So the food she ate all day just sat in the stomach and she threw it up only at night. Maybe Helen has the same thing, it seems like being in her own bed shouldn't cause that much anxiety but who knows. I hope you figure things out!

Bridgette Burbank said...

If it is anxiety, maybe you could try moving a small bed into your room for a couple of nights and then try moving her back to her bed. Making the transition to her bed a little more gradual might help. You could also try laying with her in her room until she is almost asleep for a few nights.

Devin has gone through times when he has trouble sleeping alone. They have never lasted very long. Sometimes he needs us to lay with him, sometimes he wants us to leave the light on or the door open. It is hard when they can't talk to know what is going on. Good luck!

Amanda J said...

We use comfort things like stuffed animals, blankets, a night light and a sound machine. Sometimes reading books while they're in bed or singing works too. Maybe you could try holding her, rocking her or patting her back until she falls asleep and try to gradually decrease the amount of time until she doesn't need it anymore. I hope you figure it out!

Mission Organize Apartment