Saturday, December 29, 2007

Mexican Chocolate Bread

Last month Robin got me thinking about spicy chocolate. While trying to decide what to make for a ward function, I came across this recipe in a new bread cookbook that I have. It was really good. I altered the recipe slightly for what I had on hand. If you have a bread maker it is worth a try!

Here is the one I did:

½ cup milk
½ cup water
2 large eggs

3 Tbsp butter, melted
¼ cup sugar
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

1 tsp salt
2 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ cup Crasins, boiled ahead to make soft
1 cup chocolate chips
1 Tbsp dry active yeast

Here is the original from the book:

½ cup milk
½ cup water
1 large egg plus 1 yolk at room temperature
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup sugar
2 ½ cups bread flour
3 Tbsp unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder

5 tsp gluten
1 tsp salt
¾ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp dried orange peel
2 oz bittersweet chocolate chips

2 tsp dry active yeast

  1. Place the ingredients in the bread machine according to manufacture’s instructions. Set Crust on light, program for Sweet Bread, and press Start. My machine only has a light setting; I can’t program for sweet breads.

  1. After the baking cycle ends, remove bread immediately from the machine to a cooling rack. Cool to room temperature before slicing (highly important – I found that out).

No comments:

Mission Organize Apartment