Friday, December 21, 2007

Pumpkin Soup


I made this pumpkin soup just after Halloween. It was delicious. In New Zealand they serve pumpkin soup all the time. Most Kiwis would gag when I would mention that for the most part pumpkin is only used in the US for sweet dishes like pies and cookies. Pumpkin is a savory item in New Zealand. We should embrace this side of pumpkin more in the United States. It really is wonderful for the taste. I'm sure any type of squash would work, but join with me and love the new side of pumpkins!
  • 1 Tablespoon oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 750 grams pumpkin, peeled and chopped (I just used 1½ cans of 100% canned pumpkin because I was in a rush that night)
  • 1 large potato, peeled and chopped
  • 4 cups liquid chicken stock
  • salt
  • black pepper (I used white pepper)
  • nutmeg
  • ham hock or bacon bones (optional)
  • grated parmesan cheese and ground fresh pepper for garnish

Heat oil in saucepan. Add onion and cook until clear. Add pumpkin (I didn't add the pumpkin until later), potato, and stock.

Cover, and bring to the boil and cook until vegetables are soft. I added the pumpkin once the potatoes were soft - just long enough beforehand that the pumpkin could warm up before blending.

Purée vegetable mixture in a blender or push through a sieve. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste. For extra flavor, a ham hock or bacon bones can be added when cooking the pumpkin. I used just some bits of ham that I broke off my frozen ham bone and put them in when I cooked the potato- I couldn't bear using the whole ham bone. I took the biggest pieces out before I blended the mixture and left them out and the flavor was perfect.

Serves 6.

3 comments:

Robin said...

That sounds so good! I've had some pumpkin soup lately and wanted to make some. This looks like an easy recipe. I'll definitely try it!
Merry Christmas!

suni said...

mmmmmm, love a good hearty soup! I'll have to give it a try. I made a yummy apple curry butternut squash soup that we love. yum!

Candalyn said...

And another comment-- I have a yummy pumpkin soup recipe that uses cinnamon & sugar croutons. The soup is almost curry-like, and sounds a lot like yours, but the sweetness makes for a yummy contrast.

Mission Organize Apartment